Tutorials

Tuesday 15 June 2010

World Expo in Shanghai


Where do you think this picture was taken? You would probably say somewhere in the alps, right?
Well, you would be wrong as it happens! I took it on the roof of the Swiss pavilion at the World Expo in Shanghai last weekend. This chair lift took us up to the top. Usually one has to stand in line for hours (up to five, I've been told) but luckily we had a special pass and were able to get on directly.




The Swiss pavilion outside.....

..... and the view from inside overlooking the German building.
This is the Chinese pavilion. Unfortunately we were not able to get in as we didn't have tickets. Apparently one has to stand in line (another one) at 6 am each day when the tickets are dispensed. (Sorry for the quality of the pictures as I forgot to bring my camera and had to use my iPhone)

There were crowds everywhere. The average visitors number is around 500'000 per day. We did manage to see a few more of the pavilions. Generally we visited those with the shortest lines. All in all I must say that we liked the Swiss pavilion best, but then we might be slightly biased ;). Luckily the temperature was quite comfortable at around 25 degree C. I wouldn't want to be there at the height of summer when it often gets close to 40 degree C. Well, I have seen it now but I'm not convinced I would make the effort to go again.

Of course that was not the only reason for our trip. The more important one was to spend time with the kids. I also made a quick trip to the haberdashery street where I just had to get some of these lovely Christmas ribbons.
All in all it has been good to go back and to catch up with friends (and the kids) but the pollution was still as bad as ever and the traffic nightmarish so we were quite glad to return home.

Now it's back to "work" as I have to finish a quilt I've promised my friend in the UK for her "Open Garden" in August in favour of the Christina Noble Children's Foundation. I have been involved with fundraising for this fantastic organisation in one way or other for quite a number of years. I hope to be able to show you the finished quilt very soon.

Take care and have a lovely weekend.
Vreni


6 comments:

SewSofie said...

Wow that world expo looks absolutely amazing and the chairlift looks like such fun. Glad you had some time with the kids too. Must be hard not having them close.

MaksiTaksi said...

Waaaah, I'm a little bit jealous!( do you see the green glow at the sky? :)) I wanted to the world expo so much. I love the special architecture and al the other great innovents they show there. Unfortunatly it's to far away for the 4 of us. So I truly love it that you have taken pictures and shared it on your blog.
You make me very happy for sharing this. Thanks!

Thimbleanna said...

Gosh Vreni -- I didn't even know they still had world expos! We used to hear about them a lot here in the 60s. It looks like your trip was wonderful. Well, any trip involving pretty ribbon would be wonderful!

LintLady said...

Hallo Vreni,

hier in EU gehts gerade furchtbar Fußball-mäßg zu, keinerlei Info über so etwas interessantes, wie eine Expo in SHA...
Danke, dass du meinem Blog verfolgst.
LG Doris

meli B said...

Hi Vreni, Wow looks amazing. I hate crowds but I do remember going to an expo in Brisbane a long time ago. It was exhausting, expensive and I think I remember eating a lot! Enjoy your time with your kids.

yardage girl said...

You're so lucky to go to the World Expo, and the ribbons are wonderful! Thanks for your comment today - much appreciated. Nic